Do you feel that? We definitely do – spring is here! It’s time to skip, sing and dance, be it in your living room, sidewalk, car or shower! But if you are feeling a bit sluggish, it might be a sign your body could use a gentle spring cleaning.
Talk about perfect timing! From a holistic point of view, spring is the best season to support your body’s detoxification process. Just look around – more sunshine, more daylight for activities and tons of goodies from nature’s harvest – all to support natural detox!
Here are few simple things that will help supercharge your mental and physical energy, boost immunity and get the spring back in your step –
- What goes in your belly first thing in the morning? Choose warm water with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice. This hydrates and cleanses your digestive system. The key is warm water, as ice cold water slows down your digestion, and you can’t have a successful detox without properly functioning digestive system.
- Gently exfoliate your skin; this is the largest organ that you have and it plays a major role in detoxification. Dry scrubbing before showering or using a salt scrub will stimulate the lymphatic circulation and will send the toxins one way – out of you!
- Sip hot water or tea throughout the day. Ditch the ice cold beverages, you will notice the difference.
- Favor whole and fiber rich foods, greens, seasonal fruits and plenty of vegetables. Trade in heavier winter dishes for lighter meals.
- Add sleep on to your to-do list! A good night’s sleep boosts your metabolism and lowers stress levels.
“Gentle” goes a long way. It is consistency that makes your detox more effective. Although a few days of juicing or fasting might work for some, for most of us it creates additional mental and nutritional stress, and backfires our best cleansing efforts. It’s the little things we do every day that can make the biggest difference, even when it comes to a detox.
Let’s not waste any more time and bring out the scrubs, dusters and mops! Are you in? We are!
Trade in that winter sluggishness for more pep in your step, clear mind and uplifted mood!
Nature knows best! Let’s go herbal and get more out of our spring cleaning. Which herbs will you choose for your detox?By Zita Resnais-Dattilo